Saturday 20 September 2008

Juno



I watched Juno for the first time yesterday and I absolutely loved it. It was so clever, so original and so adorable! I like the sharp, witty dialogue and quirky language and slang. It's not one of those stereotypical American High School comedies. It's much more clever, much more real than most of the films like that that I've seen. Although the characters are American and their culture is a little different to ours, I felt I could really relate each of them and empathise with the situations they found themselves in.
The bit at the start with the credits was great and I've put a link below to have a look. It's kind of cartooney and reminds me a bit of A Scanner Darkly but not so eerie and weird. The graphics are really innocent and sweet like a child's wallpaper. I think maybe it represents Juno leaving her childhood behind as she embarks on her journey into adulthood/ the corner shop. Even without the cartoonishness (yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a word) it would still be a pretty good opening and I was thinking the other day that maybe the beginning of MY film could start with a walking sequence so this is great inspiration.

http://www.artofthetitle.com/media/film/2007/juno.html?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=526&width=864

As for the direction in the rest of the film, it's all good but nothing in particular really stands out for me. The actors are exceptional and the sets, props and wardrobe are perfect. But I felt I just had to write a little bit about this film as it is now definitley one of my favourites.


No comments: